Monday, November 16, 2009

Sequoia's Journal


Monday Night
Hello, my name is Sequoia, which means red wood tree. I am a twelve-year-old Native American girl. I will tell you a little bit about my whole day in the Sioux tribe.

My mother, Chenoa, has been watching and looking after me my whole life. My father died because of small pox. We have been together for a while now, and we are living in the Sioux tribe. We have a great leader in our tribe. His name is Sitting Bull. Sitting Bull is the oldest man in our tribe. He has been my mother’s friend for so long it’s hard to count.

To clear my head, I have recently escaped to my favorite spot in the Sioux tribe, the cliffs. I have always imagined falling off the side of a cliff, using my robe to help me float down without getting hurt. Instead of doing that today, I was told to go and make some dolls for my tribe’s little girls. I was asked to play with one of the little girls, but didn’t. It would be too much to handle. Tonight by the blazing fire a dinner of Yellowhead Wrasse, a type of fish that we ate, and red corn was served. Sitting Bull told us the story of the separation of the Oto tribe.

It goes like this:

After a couple years in the Oto tribe, they set out to look for another tribe to join. They finally found one in Iowa and Missouri. The Otos grouped together to form part of the Winnebago nation, north of the Great Lakes. Their tribe left with the Missouri tribe, but they began to quarrel with each other, so they separated from that tribe. Afterwards, they were threatened by so many overpowering foes that they were driven south to join the Pawnee tribe close to the mouth of the Platte River. In 1880-1882, the Otos migrated to Oklahoma where they once again reunited to the Missouri. In 1990, since they were now one tribe with the Missouri, they called themselves Oto-Missouri. During 1990 also, there were some of them in the United States.
(story from accessgenealogy.com)

No one knows how he knows all of this, but I think that he either made it up, or was apart of the Oto tribe when he was young.

Now that the story and dinner has ended, I must retire and go to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment